CAP Theorem for Software Engineering
- Whether a system favors yield or harvest (or is even capable of reducing harvest) tends to be an outcome of its design.
s that make the “what” and the “how” more explicit, such as or , are ones that prioritize Consistency or Availability.
They offer more advice on ways to improve the process as part of an emphasis onas a means of , rather than for the sake of facilitating .
- Relating whether a system optimizes for harvest or yield to software engineering.
- Relating CAP tradeoffs to software cultures:
- google: consistency over availability
- amazon: availability over consistency
- If a company tolerates divergence, consistency and availability can be maintained even with partition failures.
- Most companies do not tolerate divergence, which often manifests itself in not granting their employees sufficient autonomy to succeed.