What an ideal keyboard would look like for me.
Goals: maximize comfort, speed, reliability. Minimize latency.
Components to keyboard latency are:
- Port type
- optical, capacitive and hall effect switches don’ require debounce
- cables reporting
- switch travel
- Choc switches are 1.5mm actuation. Choc minis are 1.2mm
- scan matrix
- Direct wiring can make scan matrix not required.
- Does this actually speed up things or is it possible that a matrix can be sufficiently fast?
- Release point is higher than actuation point. Capacitative buckling springs tend to have this.
- Results in much less debouncing needed but very high hysteresis makes double tapping keys more difficult.