Main idea: Viewing flow of work as one continuous system that can be refined and optimized
Emphasize performance of entire system vs just specific silo of work/dept
- Make work visible
- Not just inside a project but cross project
- Can everyone easily see what everyone else is working on?
Can one team easily learn from another team?
- Limiting work in progress
Really, minimize multi tasking and context switching
- Reducing batch sizes: idea behind two week sprints
- Reducing hand-offs between teams.
Tight communication so that hand-off isn’t big deal
- Identify and remove constraints and waste
- Test setup, environments, overly tight architecture?
Manual work, heroics, context-switching
- never passing a known defect to downstream work centers
- never allowing local optimization to create global degradation
- always seeking to increase flow
- always seeking to achieve profound understanding of the system
- Some outcomes: