- Inefficiencies aren’t within the individual or even the team, they’re in the cross coordination
- Visibility doesn’t mean you or your team or your work will be criticized
- Bring teams into conversation
- Empower them with ownership of their own Flow Metrics
As companies reach a threshold where things become more difficult to keep in sync
- Researchers need ownership of their own processes
- Transparency is about Enabling and empowering, not opening to criticism
Help teams improve daily work by
- Making it easier to learn from tribal knowledge
- Making it easier to fix inefficiencies in complex processes
- Harm reduction is an idea in public health that says basically: people are going to do risky activities (intravenous drug use, sex, drinking alcohol, maybe abusing alcohol), and instead of saying “just say no to drugs!”, we can choose to help make those activities less risky.
- Have code that isn’t broken and prioritize fixing it by having a Test Suites
- Unicorn Project: 5 Ideals
Culture Influences Infrastructure. Foster Empowering Environments by encouraging everyone to take ownership; Blameless post-mortems are particularly effective in making it safe to do so. This works most effectively if the culture feels like a Symmathesy and has Psychological Safety. Developers are responsible for ops. Ops for facilitating devs. etc. It’s all a Collaborative Web.
- Release Strategies and Versioning
For performers of a project, it can be helpful to think of the project as its own entity that has a concept of health. After all a project has its own Environment and Context, and the desired environment should be intentionally cultivated. Healthy environments have teams with high Psychological Safety, which empowers them to have and enrich an already Effective Organizational Culture.
Low Risk Releases
It’s important to note that some of the benefits here are technically inconsequential. That is, they exist purely to take advantage of human psychology and how humans perceive change, entropy, and risk. This ties into Psychological Safety aspects of high performance teams. This is not to knock on any of the goals, but rather to show that devops is fundamentally at its strongest when its used to facilitate communication between everyone involved, to break down silos, and to empower the humanity behind the program.
- Erase Your Darlings
- Empowering Environments
- Effective Organizational Culture
- Developing Good Explanations
- Deployment Pipelines
- Continuous Learning
- Always Green Master